Buku PhD

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

How to write a problem statement - chapter 1

I have taken all the compulsory class in my University, but still hungry to learn on how to write.
Now I learn from youtube teacher. For student like me, whatever I learn in university is never enough. Lately I am listening to Dr White Guy, I believe he is qualified to teach the subject as he is a Dr itself. He had gone through what I am about to go through. Here is the link in case you want to listen to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTH-AxR_OfM


This is my notes on what I understand from the video.

How to write a problem statement (you must have read the literatures, 400 recommended or 100 also can)

Problem statement – one of the easiest to write – (Dr. Guy White said)
Read about how to structure chapter 1
Like funnel, background section, start very general situation, then focus on small section).

Background, problem statement and purpose statement

Part 1- What is the problem, what do we know about it,
What are the researcher want us to know (this is taken from previous literatures gaps) - must be super narrow.
 You must first do chapter 2, who is saying what? (do a matrix (table) on this)

para 1. what we know - the problem is , what do we know about the problem i.e. numerous researcher have studied (put citation here at least 3 literature)

para 2. what we don’t know - what don’t we know about the problem i.e. despite all our knowledge around ----research had found out there much we don’t know –list the author

para 3. what they want us to know - what do researchers want us to find out (what we need to study) -i.e.contemporary researcher want us to research on these 3 key areas of this problem, what author write (group them together)

then only our reader understand what we want to study.

As what I understand from the video : “how to write a problem statement”

No comments:

Post a Comment